BACK TO BASICS
This Nairobi weather is so erratic, I mean just yesterday it was
the perfect baby-making weather 😛 so chilly and today the sun is so all out there and it’s only 9AM. Not complaining though I love it :). Which is why I decided to share this outfit with you guys as you can switch from cold to warm so easily. The combo comprises of closet essentials: a vest, a pair of well-fitting jeans and a pair of chucks which is why I titled my post ‘back to basics’. With this kinda outfit when the temp drops it’s all about layering, put on a sweater, jacket, scarf, marvin hat or whatever you are comfortable with but just make sure it ain’t so bulky. The fun about layering you get to create an exciting new look with just your usual seemingly boring outfits.
Many women are often afraid to layer their clothes for fear of looking bigger than they actually are. While logic would lead one to believe that this claim is true, if you’ve mastered the art of layering this couldn’t be further from the truth. A perfectly layered look will compliment your curves and create the illusion of a more proportional silhouette.
5 Steps to a Perfectly Layered Outfit
- Start with a basic, lightweight top. I suggest a solid, something neutral, or striped.
- Add another layer such as a soft cardigan or sweater. If you’re into color, this can be a great opportunity to mix in a bold pullover to give your outfit more intrigue and depth.
- Then add a jacket or coat. Again, I suggest a basic color: camel, black, navy, or even olive green.
- Next, add a scarf. It’s like the frosting on a cupcake. A must!
- Sprinkle on your accessories (bracelets, rings, watches).
Quick Layering Tips
- Keep the under-layers more fitted to keep your shape looking slim.
- If you’re concerned about your waistline, try to top off your look with something belted.
- Length and proportion is key when layering.
- Play with texture. It’s best to incorporate a mix of materials when styling a layered look. If you use all of the same fabrics, you’re look will come off as heavy and dowdy (which can add the appearance of unwanted weight as well).
Last but not least, DO NOT forget your umbrella people and DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT give it out, more often than not it Never comes back, talking from experience! Haha.
Hope this will be helpful.
Lots of Love,
Studded beige vest – Thrifted
Blue jeans – Thrifted
Brown chucks – Gift from my friend Bosibori 🙂
Kiondo bag – Borrowed (from Ciku)
Photos by Radek http://www.radekartphoto.com/
PS: Ahem! I’m not that short in real life people 😛 😛 :/………………. hahahaha!